Finding Aid Date
RG 11.2 JamaicaSC: Sullivan--Brown'sTown
Fr. Raymond Sullivan, S.J., “Ray”, (1895-1978) was a very active builder for the Church and the people of Jamaica. Between 1941 and 1946, Ray was joined by his brother Harold J. Sullivan, S.J., “Hal”, (1901-1968) in Jamaica, where they served together at the Brown’s Town mission station, a rural area. While in Jamaica, Hal organized the building of a lime kiln to supply work for the inhabitants and products for Jamaica’s agricultural needs. Following his assignment in Jamaica, Hal served as the Assistant Procurator for Missions in the New England Jesuit Foreign Mission Offices from 1947-56. Ray was instrumental in the construction of churches, chapels, schools, rectories, a seminary building, and water supplies. His dream was the Holy Name Homestead, built in Bamboo, St. Ann, to provide good Catholic homes for the poor people in Jamaica. Fr. Ray Sullivan raised the money, designed and supervised building the Holy Name Homestead. This collection consists of reports, correspondence and newsletters, and sketches of the Brown’s Town Missions and the Holy Name Homestead in the rural areas of the island of Jamaica. The bulk of the records range in date from the 1930s to the 1970.
New England Jesuit Province Archives; New England Province of the Society of Jesus; and Sullivan, Raymond R. SJ, "Raymond Sullivan, SJ and the Brown’s Town Mission and Holy Name Homestead, (Bamboo, St. Ann’s)" (2015). Finding Aids, Special Collections. 3.