Finding Aid Date
RG 11.2 JamaicaSC: Campion College
All physical materials associated with the New England Province Archive are currently held by the Jesuit Archives in St. Louis, MO. Any inquiries about these materials should be directed to the Jesuit Archives . Electronic versions of some items and the descriptions and finding aids to the Archives, which are hosted in CrossWorks, are provided only as a courtesy.
The Jesuit Mission to Jamaica has operated two schools with the name Campion in the title in Kingston, Jamaica. Campion Hall Prep School was first located at St. George’s College in 1940 to prepare boys for secondary education, especially St. George’s, a secondary school. To accommodate increased enrollment and provide for boarding students, a property, Roslyn Hall, on 115 Old Hope Road, was purchased in 1942. On January 5, 1960, Campion College, a secondary school, held its first classes, using classrooms of Campion Hall Prep. To make room for the needs of the growing College, the Preparatory School graduated its last class in 1962. The 6th form became co-educational in 1969. In 1976, Campion College ceased being a private school and became a co-educational, grant-aided school. The girls took their first seats (apart from in 6th form) in September 1976. This was achieved by merging with Sts. Peter and Paul High School for Girls.
For Campion Hall Preparatory School, the Collection contains deeds and descriptive material, 1942-1971.
For Campion College, the collection contains records of the Jesuit Community, House histories, House diary and the Consultors Minute Book (restricted), and for the College, a few yearbooks and some descriptive material, 1959-2000.
New England Jesuit Province Archives; New England Province of the Society of Jesus; Campion Hall Preparatory School, Kingston, Jamaica; and Campion College, Kingston, Jamaica, "RG 11.2 Campion Hall Preparatory School and Campion College, Kingston, Jamaica" (2015). Finding Aids, Record Groups. 19.