Finding Aid Date
RG 10.8 HTRIN
All physical materials associated with the New England Province Archive are currently held by the Jesuit Archives in St. Louis, MO. Any inquiries about these materials should be directed to the Jesuit Archives . Electronic versions of some items and the descriptions and finding aids to the Archives, which are hosted in CrossWorks, are provided only as a courtesy.
Holy Trinity Church was the only German Catholic Church in Boston in the 1800s and was commonly referred to as “The German Church.” A small church building was built between 1842 and 1844, but a larger church was soon needed. The construction of a new church began in 1872 and the new church building was dedicated by Archbishop Williams in 1877. Members of the Holy Trinity parish were extensively involved in many societies and sodalities and the parish opened a parochial school in 1844, which remained in existence until 1961 when the school was dissolved and the parish was taken over by the Archdiocese of Boston. The Archdiocese suppressed the parish onJune 30, 2008.
The collection contains records relating to the operation of the parish of Holy Trinity Church: Father Minister’s Diaries, Consultors’ Records, financial information, house accounts, correspondence, general parish files, histories, and the parish publication Monatsbote. The collection also contains early 20th century journals kept by Rev. Edmund Sturm, SJ (1859-1910): one a diary of his time at the church and the other a commonplace book. A few folders on the history and closing of Holy Trinity Church have been added by the archives. The primary language is English. There are also some documents in Latin and German.
New England Jesuit Province Archives; New England Province of the Society of Jesus; and Holy Trinity Parish, Boston, Mass., "RG 10.08 Holy Trinity Church, Boston, Mass., Finding Aid" (2015). Finding Aids, Record Groups. 15.