Finding Aid Date
RG 10.19 STPN
All physical materials associated with the New England Province Archive are currently held by the Jesuit Archives in St. Louis, MO. Any inquiries about these materials should be directed to the Jesuit Archives . Electronic versions of some items and the descriptions and finding aids to the Archives, which are hosted in CrossWorks, are provided only as a courtesy.
The St. Philip Neri School opened in September, 1946 in Boston and a second branch opened in Haverhill, MA in 1949. The school was opened as a school for delayed vocations to the priesthood after World War II. Its purpose was to teach Latin so the students could go on to seminaries, which required a foundation of Latin for acceptance. The Haverhill, MA school closed in 1964 and the Boston, MA school closed in 1969. The School closed due to a dwindling number of students because United States seminaries in the mid-1960s were no longer requiring knowledge of Latin for admission as the liturgy was being conducted in English.
The collection consists of yearbooks, deeds & correspondence pertaining to the Haverhill, MA property, course catalogs, correspondence, and a written history of the school. The materials date from the 1940s to the 1960s.
New England Jesuit Province Archives; New England Province of the Society of Jesus; and St. Philip Neri School for Delayed Vocations, Boston and Haverill, Mass., "RG 10.19 St. Philip Neri School for Delayed Vocations Records, Finding Aid" (2015). Finding Aids, Record Groups. 13.