Finding Aid Date
RG 11.2 JamaicaSC: Judah, SJ and Revival
In 1934, Rev. Sydney J. Judah, S.J. (1901-1980) was the second Jamaican to be ordained a Jesuit priest. In 1936, he was appointed pastor of the Roman Catholic churches in the civil parishes of Westmoreland and Trelawney, in the northwestern part of the island of Jamaica. One of the mission stations in Westmoreland was a village named Revival. It was a remote and poverty-stricken area. During the late 1930s and 1940s, Fr. Judah developed a plan, or scheme, for the agricultural development of the area as a means to improve living conditions and develop Revival. The scheme made much progress and was shaped into a formal Trust Agreement that was approved and funded by the Jamaican government. Land and supplies were purchased. Unfortunately, the Roman Catholic Bishop of Jamaica, who was under ever increasing demands for clergy on the island, was not able to commit to the permanent assignment of a priest to supervise the project, as the Trust Agreement called for, and the project failed.
The collection consists of one 2.5 inch box of correspondence and reports dating from 1939-1950 about the plan by Sydney Judah, SJ, to develop the village of Revival in Westmoreland, Jamaica.
New England Jesuit Province Archives; New England Province of the Society of Jesus; and Judah, Sydney J. SJ, "Sydney Judah, SJ and the Revival Scheme Collection" (2015). Finding Aids, Special Collections. 6.