Finding Aid Date
RG 11.2 Iraq
The Baghdad Mission was begun in 1932. Responsibility for the mission was assigned to the New England Province. Over time, the mission consisted of two schools for the general public: Baghdad College and Al Hikma University, an Arabic House of Studies for Jesuits, and a Minor Seminary. The government in Iraq was far from stable. In early September 1968 the new government announced that Al Hikma would be “Iraqicized”, meaning that the Iraqi government would take over the school and its administration. The Al Hikma Jesuits left Baghdad in late November 1968. Nine months later, on August 29, 1969, the thirty-three Baghdad College American Jesuits received notification of dismissal from the country as well. Two Iraqi Jesuits remained as Prefects of the Students for Baghdad College and taught religion, choosing to leave Iraq in 1970.
The Records of the Iraq Mission are divided into four series: Superior of Iraq Mission Records, Baghdad College Records, Al Hikma University Records and the Al Baghdadi newsletters. Many of these materials were transferred to the New England Province after the expulsion. The collection contains correspondence, catalogs, brochures, yearbooks and newsletters. The bulk of the material is from the 1950s and 1960s. This collection does not hold any records of the Arabic House of Studies for Jesuits or the Minor Seminary.
New England Jesuit Province Archives and Iraq Mission of New England Jesuit Province, "RG 11.2 Foreign Mission Records, Iraq Mission" (2015). Finding Aids, Record Groups. 1.